Boost your donation by 25p of Gift Aid for every £1 you donate
If you are a UK Income or Capital Gains taxpayer you can choose to Gift Aid your membership. Gift Aid is a government scheme that allows the BTF, as a charity, to reclaim 25p on every £1 that you give, on your subscription and any additional donations. This adds value to the amount you give and brings in vital funds for the BTF’s work.
There are a few important conditions that apply to Gift Aid:
- You must be a UK tax payer and pay an amount of Income Tax and/or Capital Gains Tax, whether at the basic rate or some other rate, for the tax year in which Gift Aid donations are made, at least equal to the Income Tax treated as deducted from the total of all your Gift Aid donations made in the same tax year. If you pay less than the amount of Gift Aid claimed on all your donations in that tax year it is your responsibility to pay any difference.
- To be eligible to ‘Gift Aid’ your membership fee, the Gift Aid declaration must be in the name of the member and the member must be a tax payer.
- If you have taken out membership on behalf of a minor, you may sign a Gift Aid declaration in relation to gifts made prior to his or her eighteenth birthday.
- If you pay tax at the higher rate you can claim tax relief on your gross donation at 20% (i.e. the difference between tax at the higher rate – currently 40% and the basic rate – currently 20%). You must include all your Gift Aid donations on your Self-Assessment tax return or ask HM Revenue and Customs to adjust your tax code if you want to receive this additional tax relief. You can donate your tax refund to any charity and claim Gift Aid if all the conditions have been met.
- If you have previously made a Gift Aid declaration but no longer pay sufficient tax to cover it please let us know that you wish to cancel the declaration.
- Please inform us if you change your name or your address.
- If you do not pay tax you should not use Gift Aid.
Read more at: www.gov.uk/donating-to-charity/gift-aid
You can download the BTF Gift Aid form here
If you pay a higher rate of tax in the UK you can also increase the value of your donation through Giving for Higher Rate Tax Payers