Our goal is to provide information and support to thyroid cancer patients and to help improve treatment and care in collaboration with medical professionals and other cancer groups.
- To gather and disseminate information.
- To give support and information to people diagnosed with thyroid cancer and their families in order to help them make informed choices about their care.
- To review and update all BTF written information about thyroid cancer on a regular basis.
- To continue to collaborate with other thyroid cancer groups and work alongside members of the medical profession.
What we've done so far
- We have produced a book entitled Thyroid Cancer for Patients, by Patients which includes meal plans and recipes for a low-iodine diet, explains possible side effects of treatments, new research, social issues and long-term consequences of treatment. Our book has been reviewed and endorsed by medical professionals.
- BTF supports research scientiests and doctors who work in the field of thyroid cancer. The 2013 Research Award was given to Dr Petros Perros of Newcastle University and is on Exploratory Pilot Study of Perpheral Blood Microrna Markers in Patients with Papillary Thyroid Cancer.
- We support parents and carers of children with thyroid cancer, including guidance and information on our Parents & Carer Guide.
- We have made a series of films detailing patients' experiences with thyroid cancer.
Further informatiom for patients and their families
- BTF produces Leaflets and Quick Guides with information and advice for thyroid cancer patients.
- We support a network of volunteer telephone contacts who can pass on information and helpful advice about the process of diagnosis, treatment and follow up care.
- Regular updates about thyroid cancer research is available in BTF News which is sent to members three times a year.
- Information for thyroid cancer patients who wish to find travel health insurance
- Targeted treatment for Advanced Thyroid Cancer - Frequently Asked Questions
- The thyroid cancer book is currently being renewed and updated and parts of it will soon be available on the the BTF website.
We are extremely grateful to BTF patrons Jenny Pitman and Clare Balding who were supported by BTF when they were diagnosed with thyroid cancer and have in turn been fantastic supporters of the charity.
Meet the Members of our Team
Janet Prentice - Janet is coordinator of our Birmingham local group and is a BTF telephone contact. She has worked as an insurance underwriter for the last 32 years. In addition she delivers a Chronic Disease Self-Management Course to patients with long term health conditions for the Expert Patient Programme CIC. She was diagnosed with papillary thyroid cancer in February 1994
Fiona Riley - Fiona was previously a BTF cancer telephone contact but as her work involves travelling around the UK, she wasn't able to take the calls on a regular basis. She was diagnosed with a Hurthle Cell neoplasm in 2003 and really appreciated the information from BTF, as there was so little support available at the time.